Characteristics Students Want in Teachers

I’ve been following the hashtag, #stuvoice, on Twitter for awhile and have been inspired by the tweets, links, and questions about providing a platform for students to share their thoughts about school. We have some very dynamic student leaders at Gahanna Lincoln High School and after reviewing some of the #stuvoice tweets, it dawned on me that It’s been several months since I’ve taken the time to talk with a group of students. So, I set up a meeting with members of my school’s Student Council a couple of weeks ago. We had a great conversation and I was enlightened by their insight!

I went into the conversation with two questions and ended up asking a third question based on their responses. Before I go on, I have to say how impressed I was with their candor, enthusiasm, and maturity! The three questions I asked them are as follows:

* What are the characteristics of a great teacher?
* What does learning look like at Gahanna Lincoln High School?
* What is missing in your school experience?

I will only focus on the first question in this post and will share the answers from the other two questions in a later post. Since it’s the hiring season and we are looking for the very best candidates, I wanted to know, from the student perspective, what characteristics make a great teacher. As an administrative team, we have a list of characteristics we look for, but it’s important to know what the students think.

Question: “What are the characteristics of a great teacher?”

Answers:
* Passionate and Enthusiastic about teaching
* Knowledgeable
* Cares about students
* Flexible
* Understanding
* Willing to work 1 on 1 with students
* Organized
* Shows one’s personality
* Personable/Approachable
* Willingness to connect with students beyond the classroom
* Optimistic
* Devoted
* Creative with school work and working with students
* Engaging
* Able to reflect and grow
* Involved with aspects of school outside of teaching
* Treats everyone equally
* Clear expectations
* Direct communication
* Respectable

As I previously stated, I appreciate their candor. They were really thoughtful with their answers, they added to each other’s responses, and were pretty much in agreement about these characteristics. The bottom line is they want teachers who take the time to get to know them, who will help them learn, and who care about them as people. I plan to share this list with my Administrative Team and Department Chairpersons so that we are better equipped to bring in the best candidates to be a part of Team GLHS!

Be Great,

Dwight

5 thoughts on “Characteristics Students Want in Teachers

1. Mr. Gardner,

Great research on the topic and outstanding co-researchers! Students will provide the best, most sincere answers every time. Now, if only us adults are willing to listen…

2. Dwight,

Thanks for sharing the students’ voices. I see a clear parallel between their shared responses and staff expectations. As principal, I, too, must model and uphold the same characteristics. In my mind, educators should continually strive to ensure the characteristics listed above non-negotiable!

3. Dwight,

Thanks for sharing the students’ voices. I see a clear parallel between their shared responses and staff expectations. As principal, I must model and uphold the same characteristics. In my mind, educators should continually strive to ensure the characteristics listed above become non-negotiable!

4. Great post Dwight. We often overlook the perspective and feedback from students when trying to make school improvements. Getting their input increases their buy-in and engagement. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this!