About

I am the proud Principal at New Albany High School in New Albany, OH. As Principal at Gahanna Lincoln High School (2008-2014), I was named a one of three 2013 NASSP Digital Principals of the Year. The addition to GLHS, CLark Hall, helped the district earn 2012 Best In Tech by Scholastic Administrator magazine.

My mission is to positively change lives and impact futures. I believe in the power of collaboration, continuous learning, hard work, and celebrating progress and achievement of students and Staffulty (staff and faculty). I was inducted into the Jostens Renaissance Educator Hall of Fame in July, 2010; I was nominated for a Bammy Award in 2013 and 2014 by the Academy of Education of Arts and Sciences. I am passionate about creating the best possible learning environment for all stakeholders to be successful.

I wrote the Foreword to Dr. Judy Brunner’s most recent book, Now I Get It! Differentiate, Engage, and Read for Deeper Meaning, and recently coauthored What’s In Your Space? Five Steps to Better Classroom and School Design, with Mark White and Gary Sebach. I believe that, “No significant learning takes place without a significant relationship”-Dr. James Comer.

9 thoughts on “About

1. It is so refershing to a positive African American male educator. In my school district there aren’t enough! I too believe that we must be willing to impact and change the lives of today’s youth.

2. Thank you so much for your encouragement and support! “To whom much is given much is required.”

Be Great,

Dwight

3. Hi Dwight,

Caught your blog via @JasonFlom and #stuvoice, in particular the post on what students are looking for in teachers; great information. I’m an independent documentary filmmaker and I’m currently working on a film, Grey Matters, looking at how neurological research should be informing teaching methods. What your students describe is a key component of the Brain Targeted Teaching model which I’m showcasing in the film. Would love it if you could take a moment to check out the facebook page and website for the documentary: greymattersdocumentary.com. http://www.facebook.com/greymattersdocumentary. If it’s of interest please like and share with friends and colleagues.
    Thanks and look forward reading more about your work.

Kind regards,
    Ramona

4. Dwight. Great blogsite! I look forward to meeting you in person at the BASA bootcamp next week. I’m excited about your session!

5. I came across this blog through Twitter and I absolutely admire a) the fact that you as a principa blog+reflect, unheard of in my country; and b) enjoy reading your insights very much! Thank you!!!

6. Hello Dwight,

My name is Kevin Hoang and I run the Hot Topics blog http://www.pil-network.com/HotTopics for Microsoft in Education. We would like to warmly invite you join our network. This year was special to us. At our 2014 Global Forum in Barcelona, we’ve invited 250 school leaders from Microsoft’s Mentor Schools to join us learn, share and collaborate with the best of the best from all over the world. These mentor schools are subject to a robust selection process where over 10,000 school leaders compete the join annually.

As a school leader yourself, we would be honored to have you join our community and add further into the thought leadership by writing blogs as we would like your community to learn from the best and brightest.

If this opportunity speaks out to you, please feel free to write back so we can continue our discussion.

All the best,

Kevin Hoang
    Program Manager
    Hot Topics | Microsoft in Education
    M: 425 615 9200
    v-kehoa@microsoft.com

7. New Albany Folks – You are lucky to have Mr. Carter! My kids went to Gahanna and he has been a great role model, mentor and friend. He rocks! Good luck Dwight – Be Great (no doubt you will be). – Leah Kohr

8. I had the opportunity to hear you talk at the Josten’s Renissance conference this summer… and I’ve started one of our ideas (HAT) day and I’m getting the most bizarre pushback from a few teachers, and before those few derail my efforts I would love to get some insight from you. Would you be able to email me?
    Thanks,
    Karey