About

Dwight Carter is a former high school principal in Central Ohio. His purpose is to positively change lives and impact futures. He believes reflection is at the heart of our practice and encourages principals, teachers, and students to focus on personal skill development to create the optimal conditions for learning to take place.

Because of his collaborative and innovative leadership as a principal, he was inducted into the Jostens Renaissance Educator Hall of Fame in 2010; he was named a 2013 National Association of Secondary School Principals Digital Principal of the Year, the 2014 Academy of Arts and Science Education High School Principal of the Year, and the 2015 Ohio Alliance of Black School Educators Principal of the Year.

During his tenure as a principal, he joined the International Center for Leadership in Education as a Digital Leadership and Learning Coach where he delivers keynote addresses and coaches educators to explore new ways to increase rigor, relevance, and student engagement.

After spending twenty-four years as a teacher, coach, assistant principal, and principal, he expanded his career as an Effectiveness Coach by going to work for Dynamix. Dynamix partners with school districts to help them do things more effectively and efficiently by using processes that work.

He is the co-author of two books: What’s In Your Space? Five Steps to Better School and Classroom Design (Corwin, 2015) and Leading Schools in Disruptive Times: How to Survive Hyperchange (Corwin 2017). Both written from his experiences as a high school principal helping to navigate students, teachers, administrators, and parents through the complexity of our world today. Additionally, he has contributed to a number of educational books and articles.

One of his cornerstone beliefs is, “No significant learning takes place without a significant relationship”-Dr. James Comer.

You can contact him at:
Twitter: @Dwight_Carter
LinkedIn: Dwight Carter
Email: mrdwightcarter@gmail.com
Email: dwight@dynamixllc.org

9 thoughts on “About

1. It is so refershing to a positive African American male educator. In my school district there aren’t enough! I too believe that we must be willing to impact and change the lives of today’s youth.

2. Thank you so much for your encouragement and support! “To whom much is given much is required.”

Be Great,

Dwight

3. Hi Dwight,

Caught your blog via @JasonFlom and #stuvoice, in particular the post on what students are looking for in teachers; great information. I’m an independent documentary filmmaker and I’m currently working on a film, Grey Matters, looking at how neurological research should be informing teaching methods. What your students describe is a key component of the Brain Targeted Teaching model which I’m showcasing in the film. Would love it if you could take a moment to check out the facebook page and website for the documentary: greymattersdocumentary.com. http://www.facebook.com/greymattersdocumentary. If it’s of interest please like and share with friends and colleagues.
    Thanks and look forward reading more about your work.

Kind regards,
    Ramona

4. Dwight. Great blogsite! I look forward to meeting you in person at the BASA bootcamp next week. I’m excited about your session!

5. I came across this blog through Twitter and I absolutely admire a) the fact that you as a principa blog+reflect, unheard of in my country; and b) enjoy reading your insights very much! Thank you!!!

6. Hello Dwight,

My name is Kevin Hoang and I run the Hot Topics blog http://www.pil-network.com/HotTopics for Microsoft in Education. We would like to warmly invite you join our network. This year was special to us. At our 2014 Global Forum in Barcelona, we’ve invited 250 school leaders from Microsoft’s Mentor Schools to join us learn, share and collaborate with the best of the best from all over the world. These mentor schools are subject to a robust selection process where over 10,000 school leaders compete the join annually.

As a school leader yourself, we would be honored to have you join our community and add further into the thought leadership by writing blogs as we would like your community to learn from the best and brightest.

If this opportunity speaks out to you, please feel free to write back so we can continue our discussion.

All the best,

Kevin Hoang
    Program Manager
    Hot Topics | Microsoft in Education
    M: 425 615 9200
    v-kehoa@microsoft.com

7. New Albany Folks – You are lucky to have Mr. Carter! My kids went to Gahanna and he has been a great role model, mentor and friend. He rocks! Good luck Dwight – Be Great (no doubt you will be). – Leah Kohr

8. I had the opportunity to hear you talk at the Josten’s Renissance conference this summer… and I’ve started one of our ideas (HAT) day and I’m getting the most bizarre pushback from a few teachers, and before those few derail my efforts I would love to get some insight from you. Would you be able to email me?
    Thanks,
    Karey