My Beliefs As An Education Administrator

Students
• I believe all students can and will learn.
• I believe students are the reason why we are here and we have our jobs.
• I believe engaged students will exceed our expectations.
• I believe the more we know about our students, the better we will be able to create the conditions for them to demonstrate growth.
• I believe in the development of the whole-child: intellectually, emotionally, socially, physically, and spiritually.
• I believe student voice and student choice lead to more engaged, active learners and leaders.
• I believe successful schools promote the 7 As: Academics, Attendance, positive Attitude, the Arts, Athletics, Acts of Service, and Activities (clubs). This creates a sense of belonging for every student.

Staff
• I believe teachers are the most important factor to student success.
• I believe we are greater as a team than as individuals.
• I believe we are responsible for our own professional development and must continue to be learners.
• I believe in the power of a Personal Learning Network for support, encouragement, learning, and sharing.
• I believe we are responsible for telling our positive story to recognize the behaviors and work we want to see more of. This leads to positive behavior and positive results.
• I believe we are highly skilled professionals who are passionate about our craft.
• I believe teacher leadership is a major element of the success of a school.

Community/Parents
• I believe we are partners with parents and community in the development of students.
• I believe in engaging parents in the learning process in a variety of ways.
• I believe trusting relationships with parents and community improves the overall performance of students.
• I believe when we care for our students, we gain the respect of our parents and community, thus we increase their support.

Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment
• I believe common assessments improve instruction, make collaboration meaningful, and increase student achievement.
• I believe in a strong literacy program that includes reading and writing across the curriculum. I believe we should have a common writing rubric created by teachers that is used across the curriculum.
• I believe rigor is a result of relevant lesson design and positive classroom relationships.
• I believe in students reading common texts to reinforce a shared knowledge, and I believe in choice reading. This gives students a chance to examine common themes across a variety of texts, perspectives, and cultural identities.
• I believe students learn by doing, so an active and engaging learning environment is a place where students are learning.
• I believe learning is a messy, non-linear process.
• I believe learning is our one constant. Time, resources, location are variables.
• I believe in implementing formative instructional practices to personalize learning for all students.
• I believe we are to teach critical thinking, creativity, collaboration, and communication through our content.
• I believe that great teaching and learning create a great school.
• I believe there is more than one way to teach, as long as it improves learner performance.
• I believe in examining student work to evaluate the effectiveness of curriculum, instruction, and assessment.
• I believe healthy school environments reflect upon and respond to data to make decisions about curriculum, instruction, and assessment.
• I believe grades should be a reflection of what students know and are able to do.
• I believe in assessment retakes and re-dos in order for students to demonstrate mastery.
• I believe we must have some common beliefs about grading and assessment in order to provide equitable opportunities in our classrooms.

Leadership
• I believe that a positive school culture promotes academic success, makes learning more relevant, and promotes positive behavior.
• I believe in establishing positive relationships among students, staff, and parents.
• I believe we learn through failure, as long as we fail forward. We should take calculated risks to stretch our students and ourselves.
• I believe in adaptive leadership, which means implementing a variety of strategies to problem-solve, think critically, make decisions, and serve others, depending on the situation.
• I believe the Principal is the most influential person in the school. Good or bad.
• I believe people lead change, not programs, and it’s always about people.
• I believe that a shared vision, shared values, and shared norms lead to a positive school climate.
• I believe in continuous improvement, which means we are in a constant state of learning, growth, and reflection.
• I believe there are three types of leadership decisions: mine, yours, ours.
• I believe leaders ought to serve others.
• I believe that, “No significant learning occurs without a significant relationship.” –Dr. James Comer

One thought on “My Beliefs As An Education Administrator

1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, ideas and reflections with us. Knowing you personally, it is truly a pleasure to see your espoused views align with your real-life interactions with others and application in the profession.